New Guy Old Car

If you just registered, post a brief greeting in here.
Linerider
Your car is a: 1980 124 Fiat Spider 2000 cc

New Guy Old Car

Postby Linerider » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Afternoon everyone,

I just became the proud owner of a 1980 spider last night. I have been looking for something that I can drive, work on, and have fun in while I am also working other projects and think I got a decent deal. I found it on CL here in Virginia about 20 miles from my place and went over to take a look. Long story short, he was asking $2000 for it, and I ended up trading a rifle I haven't shot in 8 years and $400 for a running/semi driving '80.

After making the deal he took me out to his barn and I found out the deal was extended to what parts he had on hand for it. That being said the car deal came with 3 extra motors, 6 extra rims, all new badges, 6 boxes of all manner of parts, a trunk full of new interior panels, a new top, new tires, manuals etc. The guy I got it from told me he recently rebuilt the carb, put a new water pump, alternator, and belts on it and gave me a book full of receipts also. He said that it had an issue with the brakes sticking and it does so we slow rolled on some back country roads with it back to my place. It made it there safely but the tires were very hot so I know that the first thing will be figuring out the brake issue and/or if it needs new bearings. Second thing I figured out is that the transmission makes plenty of noise, not sure if this is normal (maybe need to change the oil?) or if something is going wrong in there. Nothing grinding, its just noisy! And it needs to be double clutched into second so I know that the fork will need changing eventually.

I am completely new to these little monsters so any and all advice will be completely welcomed! First things first would be the brakes and what to do. I will be perusing the boards and trying to find any info I can but if anyone can shoot me some threads or knowledge up front it would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking forward to some fun, some challenges, and some knowledge injection into my new world while getting to know as many of you as I can. I think my wife will be calling me Mr. Incredible for a little while till the novelty wears off. She says its fun to watch me and others reaction to me in the little guy. To draw you a mental picture think, 6' 4", 365 pound NFL Offensive/Defensive Tackle, who has spent 20 years in law enforcement and still wears a gun belt daily gets into a Spider. Surprisingly they are roomy once your in!!

Bear

RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Re: New Guy Old Car

Postby RRoller123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Welcome aboard! You will find plenty of knowledgeable and friendly people here.

Post some pictures! They help a great deal when trying to help diagnose problems, inquiries, etc that you may have.

Here is a thread on how to post pictures directly to the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32169

And here is another picture-posting thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23084

This short instruction covers how to resize pictures so that they don’t get cut off at the right side:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30441

[Note: In the past few months, there have been numerous complaints regarding the performance of Photobucket. I myself no longer use it, but use IMGUR.com instead. The basic picture posting process is the same.]

And here is a link to a map of Spider owner’s locations. Many forum members have listed their locations.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=191825

Pete
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle

RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Postby RRoller123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:54 pm

The brake dragging problem could be from the vacuum booster push rod being too far extended. It is adjustable, and I believe there is a picture of its adjustment requirements here somewhere on the Forum on a brake thread. The master cylinder gets removed (pulled forward) to access the push rod, the push rod threads in and out and is locked in place. I believe if memory serves correct, that it is supposed to protrude 0.030" forward of the booster, but don't take that to the bank. There will be a thread here somewhere that covers the topic.
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Postby azruss » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:09 pm

If all 4 brakes are dragging, I would follow RRollers suggestion. Before that, I would take the car for a short spin to see what gets hot and what doesnt. If its just the rear brakes, it could be an issue with the compensator. I would also look at the flex hoses going to each caliper. These can collapse internally and not allow the brakes to release completely. The pads adjust on a slide section of the caliper. This can get dirty and corroded over time and not adjust. A temp fix is to drive your car in reverse and slam on the brakes. This change in torque direction can allow the pad bracket to "jump" and move. Good luck

davidbruce
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Postby davidbruce » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:44 am

I would like to add looking at the jumper hose from the hard brake line to the tee on the rear axle. I had one that became totally plugged / collapsed inside. I think it gets forgotten due to it's out of sight location. I replaced all 5 hoses on mine since I had no idea if or when they were replaced. I purchased a cheap infared temp gun to monitor the brake temp on my travel trailer brakes when travelling. It takes the guess work out. I found 1 brake always 40 degrees F hotter than the rest. To the touch they always seemed hot but the temp were consistent through 10,000 miles from BC to Florida and back.
As for having to double clutch into second. I would take this as a synchro issue. If the wrong oil is used ie: GL4 the additives will eat the brass rings. I would be looking at the fork if it was popping out of gear.perhaps drop the oil and see if it has that yellow shimmer to it. Changing to the proper oil may quiet it down but probably not the shifting problem. Also as others have said. Make sure you loosen the filler plug before dropping the oil.
My 2c
Dave Kelly
Campbell River B.C.
1973 Sport(sold)
1980 Spider 2000(project, aren't they all)

2000spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1981 2000

Postby 2000spider » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:19 pm

What part of VA? I'm out in Winchester.

I've got a 1981 2000

Return to “New Members / Introductions”