New member whose fiat finally came back

If you just registered, post a brief greeting in here.
sidruze
Your car is a: 1980 pininfarina 2000

New member whose fiat finally came back

Postby sidruze » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Hello all, Firstly let me say how grateful I am that a website like this exists. I currently share ownership with my wife of a 1980 fiat 2000. Without getting into a huge amount of detail . Our fiat was purchased some 8 years ago and the motor bottom end was destroyed due to lack of oil:) .I warned her:) It was then in otherwise great shape . I purchased another bottom end/short block and entrusted the car to a mechanic who was "going" to repair and install. The car then left with him on a "journey" of some seven years. After much back and forth and a lot of negotiation we've finally gotten the car back.
It runs and he did install the new clutch, heavier flywheel and the short block. However the top is now torn, interior somewhat dilapidated and in need of some TLC. I had planned on buying a new top, rubbers etc but took it for a drive and realized its leaking oil from what seems to be the left valve cover when viewed from the front . As obviously I'm no mechanic, I'm not about to say I have any real idea as to its true causality. I also realize this is not the section to delve into such matters. However I'm now in a quandry as to whether to open this "can of worms" or pass the car on to someone who has the time and resources to begin rectifying said issue(s).
BIG Caveat. My wife loves the car and as I said, it's otherwise extremely straight. I myself love the lines of this vehicle, as I'm sure does pretty much everyone who visits here. Scale wise however it will never be something I can drive regularly because I look like I'm driving the car that escaped the kiddie ride at the fair. Not a small guy and my other Italian girlfriend is a Ducati. I also now see these cars especially the 2000 being much sought after . Any Suggestions? and yes I know happy wife= happy life...... BUT
Thanks Sid

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: New member whose fiat finally came back

Postby baltobernie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Get your Spider in the hands of a mechanic who knows these cars. Tell us where you're located, and someone should respond with a suggestion or two. The nearest vintage Fiat expert may be hundreds of miles away, but it's impossible to make a sound decision without proper info. You can (and we all have) made bad car decisions, or unlucky car decisions, or ...
But you can increase the odds of a successful ownership experience armed with a good diagnosis.

All of which is useless if you aren't going to drive and enjoy the car. That's the bigger problem, and one that only you can resolve. I will say that, contrary to your post, vintage Spiders are not particularly valuable automobiles, money-wise. A really well-sorted 2-liter car sold recently for $4500 in a big-market area. Furthermore, the vintage Spider is a very roomy automobile for two adults, which is to say that if it's snug for you, you're probably not going to be happy with an MG, TR-4 or other vintage car.

sidruze
Your car is a: 1980 pininfarina 2000

Re: New member whose fiat finally came back

Postby sidruze » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:10 pm

Thankyou Bernie , I appreciate your response . I reside in Central California and yes I concur with your suggestion. As far as value I don't disagree with you either ,more that the 2 liter seems more desirable than the standard 124. The cars are plentiful but are holding on most vintage value charts. I like the term "well sorted " . I guess I've got to now find someone who can re "sort" this one out. Don't think I'll have the option to pass it on as it seems my wife has fallen back in love with this one and can't stop talking about getting it fixed. As far as scale I just like to have my head below the windshield regardless of brand. I will definitely putting a roll bar on the accessories list even if its just her driving it, especially given what folks drive around here in.
Thanks Sid

Return to “New Members / Introductions”