Oil leak between propeller shaft and differential housing

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
JohnMc
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat 124

Oil leak between propeller shaft and differential housing

Postby JohnMc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Knew there was oil leak there. Took off the propeller shaft to change out the drive shaft center support.
So is the replacing of the oil seal by removing the bevel pinion nut as hard/terrible as it looks?
I was hoping was easy to just remove the bevel pinion nut, and the oil seal and retighten the nut - but looks like a lot more.
Thoughts please.
Thanks as always.
John Mc.//

lglade
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

Re: Oil leak between propeller shaft and differential housing

Postby lglade » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:24 pm

I haven't personally done it, but there's a technique where you count the number of rotations to remove the pinion nut, replace the seal, and then put the pinion nut back to the same place by counting the number of rotations to re-install it. It looks pretty straightforward and you've already done the hard part by removing the shaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha2Uhl9BTtM
Lloyd Glade- Mukilteo, WA
1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzurra
1962 Fiat 500D - wife's car
2015 Subaru Outback
2017 Ford Focus RS

JohnMc
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby JohnMc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks.
The above YouTube is interesting- but I am not certain as to me there were some problems with the video. He appeared to reuse a nylon locking nut (I never do). Also no idea why he would use threadlocker on the threads to try to keep oil out? Oil should not be going that far, unless I am completely wrong.

If anyone has done this procedure and can give the video credibility I would appreciate it. My car is a 1970 124 - which has a slightly different oil seal.

Thanks as always.

Texafornian
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby Texafornian » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:41 pm

I also have this repair on my list, have watched that video, and would love to hear whether that approach is indeed viable.
Daniel

1977 Fiat 124 Spider

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:52 am

At the age of these cars the seal leaking is many times a symptom of wear on the bearing on the input shaft. Appeasing it by just applying some goop on the nut after installing a new seal could end up a temporary solution that a few thousand miles down the road could lead to a more costly repair. Its a roll of the dice that may or may not work out for you in the long run doing it the way its shown in the video. I would at least get the new nut and crush sleave for the pinion shaft along with the replacement seal.

JohnMc
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby JohnMc » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks.
i am going to have my son go over the replacement instructions in the original manual also - looked difficult to get the torque just right - but maybe how I read it. I am just afraid to do like the video showed.

vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Postby vandor » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:37 am

DieselSpider wrote: I would at least get the new nut and crush sleave for the pinion shaft along with the replacement seal.

Getting a new crush sleeve would be useless, as setting the rolling torque even close to specs would be impossible with the ring gear in place. One either has to do it by the book, take the ring gear out and use a new crush sleeve and set the proper rolling torque, or take a chance of doing it the 'easy' way, by just replacing the seal and putting the nut back where it was (compared to the shaft, not the flange).
I've done it both ways, both have worked, but it may have been luck for the 'easy' way. I definitely recommend the use of locktite if one is reusing the old nut.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town

Return to “Suspension Related”