Paint cracking where the panel between the trunk and top meets the fenders

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
QuebecFiatSpider
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 FI

Paint cracking where the panel between the trunk and top meets the fenders

Postby QuebecFiatSpider » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:40 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently searching to buy my first Fiat 124 Spider and I'm concerned by something. Up to now I've inspected about seven cars and they all have the paint craking where the panel between the trunk and top meets the fenders. I won't post pictures but I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Appart from re-painting completely, is there any ways of let's say hiding it or caping it or add something over it...a low cost alternative...

I've seen by looking a video on youtube recently a Fiat Spider with a kind of chrome trim installed at those places...

I'll be listenings to your comments :D

AndyVAS
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Paint cracking where the panel between the trunk and top meets the fenders

Postby AndyVAS » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:38 pm

They all do it to some extent. The late cars had the convertible top boot hooks relocated over and plates made to cover that body seam. You could put those on but continue to use the common boot hooks.

Your only other choice is the repaint the area and clean the body seam. Using some of the less brittle paints on the market you can probably have a nice clean looking seam that doesn't crack.

Whatever you do, don't fill the seam. Weld, lead, or Bondo won't do the trick. The cracking will happen within very few miles.
Andy Phillips
Vick Auto - Technician, Performance Engine Builder & PFI Developer (with ITBs)
http://www.vickauto.com
Stock parts or Performance parts we've got what you need.

Return to “Cosmetics”