Rust Prevention

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
ward00
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Rust Prevention

Postby ward00 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:50 pm

I just purchased a 75 Spider with no visible rust underneath the frame, floorboards, trunk etc.. Its a repaint, so there could be hidden rust. Other than keep it indoors and out of the weather, what suggestions do you all have to keep it that way. Other than looking for rust bubbles, which means rust has gotten a foothold, going forward, where should one look to verify no hidden water/moisture is not accumulating, etc.
75 Spider
75 Sport Coupe restoration

Odoyle
Your car is a: 1983 Pinafarina Spider

Re: Rust Prevention

Postby Odoyle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Check underneath carpets, moisture can accumulate in the factory insulation rusting floor pans. Passenger foot well is more susceptible because heater core is on that side and could have been leaking at some point.

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Rust Prevention

Postby TX82FIAT » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Places you can look without removing much. Look behind the rear wheel wells where bubbles will turn into rust. Look at your door jambs closely at the hinge points and the underside of the door. Yes, you will have to lay on your back and look up at the bottom of the door. Remove the spare and look at the trunk. Shine a flash light down around the sides of the fuel tank in the event someone did not reseal it at some point. If you do not have a front wheel liner look up at your inner wheel well and the shock towers. Look around the front windshield washer sill were the wipers come out as well as down into the air vent area. Typically the engine bay and the underside of the cars are in good shape because they had oil on them at some point acting as a protectant. As others have mentioned. The floor boards can rust if carpet had moisture or the car just sat outside with a bad top for some time.

Keep it in the garage, try not to drive in the rain although part of enjoying the car may make that unavoidable, After you wash the car dry areas around trunk, hood, door jambs and take it for a spin to let the air blow through the cracks. I've thought about getting one of those airblowers to dry the car. Then I thought........ I have a leaf blower!!!! Not...
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

Return to “Cosmetics”