Locked and I can't get in!

General chat about the car goes in here.
Newbie1979Pini

Locked and I can't get in!

Postby Newbie1979Pini » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:39 pm

We received our 1979 Spider 2000 from a relative, who left it in bad shape. None of the door locks are connected, and the trunk opener was a piece of coat hanger. I'm slowly working through it's issues, but created one of my own (and feel really stupid about it). I broke the coat hanger off after the trunk was closed, and now I have no idea how to get it back open again. The hanger was run through where the lock should be, so in other words, there is no lock in the "2000" plate - just a hole. Any suggestions on how to get to the trunk release?

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Locked and I can't get in!

Postby TX82FIAT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:46 pm

you can remove the lic. plate and drill a hole to move the lever with a screw driver. There should be a post on it someplace. Saw a guy do this once when he locked his keys in the trunk of his spider.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Postby azruss » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:49 pm

what did the coat hanger look like. Is it still in the trunk or out. send us a picture if it is out

Newbie1979Pini

Postby Newbie1979Pini » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:18 pm

TX82FIAT wrote:you can remove the lic. plate and drill a hole to move the lever with a screw driver. There should be a post on it someplace. Saw a guy do this once when he locked his keys in the trunk of his spider.

That's what I thought, but not sure where to drill. I was hoping someone knew if there was access behind the back seat. I realize that the battery takes up the center of that wall, but If I could shine a light in, and possibly reach the remaining piece of wire...

Newbie1979Pini

Postby Newbie1979Pini » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:22 pm

azruss wrote:what did the coat hanger look like. Is it still in the trunk or out. send us a picture if it is out

It was just a stiff piece of wire from an old coat hanger that my Brother-in-Law had wrapped around the trunk latch, ran along the back plate, through the key hole. Outside it make an L shape, pointing down. To open, you just had to grap the wire, and pull. My bright idea was to loop the wire back to the hole, and spin it so the loop stayed. Well, spinning thick, old, stiff wire tends to make it break when you pull on it.

BEEK
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Postby BEEK » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:24 pm

make an x between the 4 license plate bolt holes, then measure up 1 inch, drill a hole there and you can use a screwdriver to trip the lock
Automotive Service Technology Instructor (34 year Fiat mechanic)
75 spider
, 6 Lancia Scorpions, 2018 Abarth Spider, 500X wifes, 500L 3 82 Zagatos. 82 spider 34k original miles, 83 pininfarina, 8 fiat spider parts cars
son has 78 spider

hallgreghall
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat

Postby hallgreghall » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:33 pm

The previous owner of my car cut a hole in the back due to the same issue. It is right in the middle behind the tag.

I like Italian food and Italian convertibles :)

BEEK
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Postby BEEK » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:36 pm

wow a big hole, only needs to be the size of a small screw driver
Automotive Service Technology Instructor (34 year Fiat mechanic)
75 spider
, 6 Lancia Scorpions, 2018 Abarth Spider, 500X wifes, 500L 3 82 Zagatos. 82 spider 34k original miles, 83 pininfarina, 8 fiat spider parts cars
son has 78 spider

Newbie1979Pini

Postby Newbie1979Pini » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:38 pm

BEEK wrote:make an x between the 4 license plate bolt holes, then measure up 1 inch, drill a hole there and you can use a screwdriver to trip the lock

Thanks, I think I'll go that route, but no rush right now. I've got more urgent problems on this car. Transmission pops out in 4th, and looks like its leaking oil. I'll be putting it in the air soon to pull it. At least my Brother-in-Law left us with a box of gears (hope their in fair shape, and the right ones I'll be needing).

Newbie1979Pini

Postby Newbie1979Pini » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:41 pm

hallgreghall wrote:The previous owner of my car cut a hole in the back due to the same issue. It is right in the middle behind the tag.

I seriously wouldn't have gone that big. But,if you don't know where to go through, they may have made several holes and they just deceided to cut out the whole area. What's done is done.

bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Postby bradartigue » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:10 pm

So is the lock not connected? If the lock works and is hooked up, and you just don't have a key, get a locksmith to pick it and then get a new lock. Beats cutting into your car (which is irreversible).

You can also elevate one side of the trunk lid and hold it open with a wooden dowel or something similar, then use a coathanger to pull the lock open. It isn't easy, and will piss you off tremendously, but you won't have to cut the car. Last time I did this a cop drove up my driveway to have me prove it was my car....and I keep the registration (you guessed it) in the trunk. He just laughed and called in the plate.

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:32 pm

a 3/16" hole is all you need and it's easy to seal up or put a rubber plug in so you have access the next time it happens
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

deftone

Postby deftone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:17 am

My car came with a different lock for both doors, the trunk and the ignition, not sure how it got that way, but I had no key for the trunk lock, so I just tapped a screwdriver into the key slot and turned... opened right up. Car Thiefs had it easy in 1969 I guess!

Disclaimer.... I was not concerened about busting the lock because the plan is to get a matching set anyway :lol:

Newbie1979Pini

Postby Newbie1979Pini » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks everyone. I drilled the small hole and was able to pop the trunk. Like So Cal Mark stated, I'm going to plug the hole with a small rubber plug (which I'm going to claim is for Lic. Plate vibration reduction).

bradantigue - there isn't anything in the lock hole - no lock at all. I'm gonna have to buy a lock for the trunk later, when I'm ready to get it back on the road.

I'm now concerned about a leaking transmission - but that is a discussion for another post.

wetminkey
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 2000 Spider

Postby wetminkey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:48 pm

This technique works great!
My '79 Spider 2000 was hit in the rear yesterday in a parking lot, and the license plate light housings took the hit pushing in the area behind each of them, and breaking the plastic lock-to-latch arm.
I found this post, so I marked the center of an "X" between the license plate mounting holes, and marked 1" up from that spot. 3/16" bit will do, and a small (I believe I used a #1 Phillips, as opposed to the most common, #2 Phillips) screwdriver will fit through the hole. Straight in, feel left side and right side of latch arm,...catch it on the left side and swipe right. The latch will easily release.
I then removed the latch mechanism's acorn nuts to keep the trunk from latching closed for now. I be working on flattening the rear panel soon,...
I'll probably use a flat rubber plug to seal the hole, and allow future access,...just in case.
Thanks all for this thread! I hope this post will bring attention to it again, hoping that it will help other forum members.
Todd.
1988 Mazda RX-7
1979 Fiat Spider 2000
1978 3/4 ton Chev 4x4 P/U "FRANKENTRUCK"
1976 Camaro
1972 VW Superbeetle
1969 Ford F100
1968 Mustang coupe

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”