Chinese made 34 adf carb

General chat about the car goes in here.
DaveMarcotte
Patron 2021
Patron 2021
Your car is a: Fiat Spider 1977

Chinese made 34 adf carb

Postby DaveMarcotte » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:45 pm

So I got my new Chinese made 34 adf carb. It looks to be well built (not withstanding the damaged chock body from shipping). There are no markings at all. My question is: How can one tell that it is in fact a 34 adf and not a 32? Visually the venturi looks the same as my 32 adfa (unless I'm mistaken as to what I'm looking at) In other words. What makes a 34 adf a better performing carb than the 32? and without stamped parts how to tell? Thanks in advance.

AJFiat
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Re: Chinese made 34 adf carb

Postby AJFiat » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:31 pm

Not sure but I suppose you would have to take a mic to it and measure it. I just got the one off Ebay also from China to replace my 28/32 ADHA on my 79 and it seams to work better but I'm still using the dual plane manifold and crappy 4-1 exhaust on it and half of the emissions stuff so hard to tell.

As said in the other post make sure you swap over the throttle lever if it's different. I missed that step and my throttle linkage was rubbing on the valve cover with the one they shipped it with.

Frog2Spider
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 2000 Spider

Postby Frog2Spider » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Maybe this will help ....

www.artigue.com
Cars, Linux, and Databases (oddly enough)
Menu
Skip to content
Home
T G R
Weber 34 ADF – Chinese Copy
Posted on February 20, 2014 by bradartigue
Here is something new – a Chinese copy of a Weber 34ADF carburetor. For a FIAT Spider the 34ADF is among the most potent single carburetors that can be easily fitted. And they are extremely easy to fit – four bolts, a few hoses, and some linkages. The issue – you cannot find them new, and when you do they cost over $500 and do not include the port necessary for the vacuum advance module on the distributor. So you have a $500 carburetor you have to drive a hole through, or you have to replace the distributor…

I therefore bought a Chinese copy that showed up on ebay, to see how good of a copy it really is. Weber doesn’t make these any more, and frankly Weber hasn’t made a carburetor in Italy for years. So the relative quality of a carburetor that appears at a glance to be made from the same molds is something we need to see.

At close inspection the quality is excellent. Some packing material ended up inside of the choke mechanism that I had to clear out, but it was otherwise well packed and seems very well made.

The carburetor has the correct ports for a Spider 2000 or any Spider with a vapor recovery system (charcoal canister) and a vacuum-operated Marelli distributor (fitted to the 79-85 Spiders and a great fit for any of the cars if you have the right hookup on your carburetor, like this one). The vacuum port for the distributor started disappearing on the vendor stock years ago, and whereas they used to jet and drill these things for you they don’t any longer.

Finally, the odd thing is the jets and plates have no markings at all. I have no idea how this thing is jetted, and the only solution to that is to buy all new jets (measuring them is possible only with specific tools that cost more than a new set of jets). Truthfully we’re going to fit it on a car to see how it runs out of the box and then, if necessary, rejet the sucker.
Always looking for curves under blue skies!
Frog2Spider

'81 - 2000 Spider

DaveMarcotte
Patron 2021
Patron 2021

Postby DaveMarcotte » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:45 am

Thanks guys, but what I'm asking is how to tell the deference from a 32 adfa and a 34 adf if the 34 is a knock off without any markings.

Fiatlanta
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 124

Postby Fiatlanta » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:47 pm

You ever get an answer??

karhawk
Your car is a: 81 spider

Postby karhawk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:15 am

Throw all the jets out(jetting was a joke)and jet for 32 adf, Fiat has a listing of stock carb jetting.
As you know you have to take the top off to change the main jets. ONce you have it back to stock jetting you can make decisions about going up or down in increments of 5. Pierce manifold out in California is a good bet for jets. Oh and it is a 32 NOT 34 and the metal to my eyes looks thinner.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Fiatlanta
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 124

Postby Fiatlanta » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 pm

It was a 32. Couldn't get it to run right...finally the hole for idle adjustment screw just broke right off.

I sucked it up and got a 32/36 DFEV and it's back on the road. Still needs a little fiddling with the idle and mixture screws and then set timing, but it's running, at least.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a relatively inexpensive lesson...buy once, cry once...

karhawk

Postby karhawk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:59 pm

I've got one of those Hong Kong carbs, out of the box it wouldn't run. I changed out all the jets, idle, air corrector and mains, (except for accelerator pump jet) and finally it is running quite well. I will drive test tomorrow. I think the idle adjust screw is too short and the idle jet was too small, that's why it won't idle out of the box. As long as you are careful with all the fittings and screws AND adjust to Fiat recommended stock jetting and adjust from there. This carb should run well on a stock or mild street engine.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

DaveMarcotte
Patron 2021
Patron 2021

Postby DaveMarcotte » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:05 pm

Yes I changed the jets to get it rite. Also, changed the float as it had a hole.

karhawk

Postby karhawk » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:04 pm

A further few notes on the Chinese "34 ADF"

After changing all the jets to Fiat specs for 32 ADF on an 1800 engine. The float has to be set as well! I enriched the jets to my engine, 2liter 1800 head etc.
I ended up 10 over on the main jets and 5 over on all the rest. The accelerator pump should be changed as well. So after about $65 spent on jets and electric choke it runs good.
This carb didn't come with the electric idle part but looks like you can screw a Fiat part in place of the idle jet. Care should be taken screwing in all jets and studs into these carbs the metal is not as good as genuine Weber.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

PS
Stock jetting on Fiat 124 sport models 1756 engine, 49 state car:
main jets 1.25 and 1.40, idle jets 50 front 60 rear, F74 emulsion tubes, air corrector jets 1.85 and 170,pump jet .50, float level 6.5mm.

PSS
this is probably a deal killer for most, the original air cleaner assbly doesn't fit and would have to butchered to work.

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”