!980 Spider almost done

General chat about the car goes in here.
cheaptrick
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

!980 Spider almost done

Postby cheaptrick » Mon May 15, 2017 10:50 pm

My 1980 FI Spider is just about finished. I picked it up in Torrance California about 6 months ago. It had been in storage in Brooklyn NY for 20 years and all the rubber was shot. It had 29k on ODO and has just passed 30k now. The car was basically rust free except for an area right under the front lip of the hood which was cut out and new metal welded in. The floors, trunk, and shock towers, were all like new. I guess the undercoating Fiat used in 1980, and which is still there, actually worked! The front hood hinges were seized so those had to be replaced as well. Since then the spider got new control arms, new bushings, shocks, lowering springs, and 15" wheels and tires, thanks to Mark at Allison's. A new paint job in the original green color that cleaned up assorted dings and dents set me back 4k. I also bought new chrome bits here and there. The bumpers also got re-chromed. I installed a wildwood big brake kit also from Allison's, along with new braided brake lines and new headlights with a relay setup. The car has new black front seat belts and tensioners, and new front carpet. It always ran well, and still doesn't overheat even in Hawaii. I do have a separate fan switch, for those long stop lights. I found a very nice used Luissi steering wheel on ebay that I think looks great. I took off the catalytic convertor and also the resonator and went with a straight pipe and a muffler because Hawaii has no smog inspections. The trade winds blow all the pollution 2k miles back to the mainland. This is my third spider and my favorite one yet, I really like the green/tan combo and I think I will hang onto it for a while. I still have a lot of projects in store for this car but this is what she looks like so far. I probably won't ever get the money I put in, out of the car, but I do have the satisfaction of making this the best spider I have ever had. Check it out, let me know your thoughts. I am thinking about changing the mirrors they really don't work for seeing out the back. Not sure what to get. The original one was messed up. Steve

ImageImage
SteveImage

Gatorman
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Re: !980 Spider almost done

Postby Gatorman » Mon May 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Very nice!

cheaptrick

Postby cheaptrick » Mon May 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks Gatorman. The car really lost the baby 4x4 look when I put Allison's lowering springs in. Before that the 15"s looked a little out of proportion. Steve
SteveImage

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Tue May 16, 2017 1:43 am

that is a REALLY nice looking car! I love the green/tan combo
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Postby klweimer » Tue May 16, 2017 7:55 am

Looks really nice. I bet driving around the island is a blast, all year round!
Kirk

Europa
Your car is a: 1983 Pininfarina Spidereuropa

Postby Europa » Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 am

Beautiful car. Love the changes you put into it. I too have the verde scuro & tan interior combination. Love it.

Can you tell me about the seat color? Mine is original and looks much lighter. I noticed your top is lighter than your seats.
1983 Spidereuropa
Verde Scuro

cheaptrick

Postby cheaptrick » Tue May 16, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks Mark, your company was a big help in getting it to where it is now. I was skeptical of the gunmetal wheels but they look good with this color combo. Got the BF Goodrich 15" tires at Costco of all places, but they work and I can buy new ones when they wear out. Your lowering springs made all the difference. Good clearance all around and a nice solid ride. Thanks Steve
SteveImage

cheaptrick

Postby cheaptrick » Tue May 16, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Europa, you are right that the top is in the much lighter original color. The PO spray painted the door cards,
and center divider with tan vinyl paint. I belive the seats were recoverd with that color and he matched the rest of the interior. I am very suprised about how well it has held up. Something different for sure. Steve
SteveImage

cheaptrick

Postby cheaptrick » Tue May 16, 2017 11:07 am

klweimer wrote:Looks really nice. I bet driving around the island is a blast, all year round!
Kirk

Your right Kleeimer I can drive it all year round, except when it starts to rain out of nowhere.The 2 speed wipers work great. And I mostly drive at 35-55 mph --perfect for the spider. No freeway on maui with maniacs doing 85. Now I just need to retrofit the car with A/C, the tropical sun in Hawaii will burn my legs in a 1/2 hr in summer with the top down. A small price to pay for the big grin the spider gives me. Steve
SteveImage

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”