78 Spider - steering

General chat about the car goes in here.
MrBlimp
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

78 Spider - steering

Postby MrBlimp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:46 am

My Spider has a slight bit of play in the steering.

Is there an adjustment that can be made to the steering box to tighten this up or should I be looking at tie rod ends, etc...?
69 Triumph Spitfire
70 MGB
78 Fiat 124 Spider
92 Mustang LX
00 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L - Totaled
00 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L
05 Hyundai Accent

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: 78 Spider - steering

Postby baltobernie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:03 am

Yes, the steering box can be adjusted. Loosen the big nut and turn the slotted shaft clockwise to tighten. It's important not to overdo this, or the steering will jam at the extremes. An inch or more of total play in the wheel is within spec.

brackie1
Your car is a: 1978 124 spider

Postby brackie1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:04 pm

If it only has a slight amount of play I wouldn't mess with it.
Gene
North Carolina

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:25 pm

There should be two adjustments on a recirculating ball and sector steering box. One is the lock nut and screw on the cross shaft already mentioned and the other is the end play on the worm shaft. It you ignore the end play in the worm shaft and only adjust the cross/sector shaft you will egg out the cone on the end of the worm shaft which will require its replacement.

Here is a video on a simple box from an International tractor that uses shims to adjust the worm shaft end play instead of an adjustable collar and does not have the recirculating balls however the principles are basically the same. Adjust the worm shaft end play first after loosening the sector shaft adjuster and then adjust the sector shaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjUDRWeNCfE

I have had over the years needed to replace the worm shaft on too many boxes because folks kept adjusting just the cross shaft and never bothered to check the end play on the worm shaft. Its a bit more work to check and adjust both the worm and then the sector shafts but can save you the expense of having to needlessly replace the entire box a little further down the road.

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”