cross continent adventure

General chat about the car goes in here.
bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Re: cross continent adventure

Postby bobplyler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:45 pm

RRoller123 wrote:Why the hell does it need to be looked at anyway?

Because...
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).

seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Postby seabeelt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Love this tale of adventure. My son drove his 79 all the way from Rhode Island to San Francisco. I drove the first leg with him to Columbus Ohio. His girlfriend flew in and they drove the rest of the way together. As I recall he had a few. "adventures." The alternator wasn't charging and of course it was an automatic, so required a jump the couple of times we stopped. Nearing Columbus we had a torrential down pour and had to pull over. Rained so hard you couldn't see. Good thing we stopped as the semi barreling down the highway didn't even seem to notice us as he passed within mere inches. Us narrowly escaping being flattened. He replaced the alternator and control arms on one side while at my daughters house in Columbus and upon the test drive, the wheel bearing seized. Quick trip down the street to Midwest for parts. Time was running short so he didn't do the other side. Next day or two revealed a now poorly aligned front end and partially bald tire. He found mercy at a closing garage and the fellow did a good enough alignment to get him the rest of the way to the west coast.. There were other adventures that went with that car. But fortunately other than being hot with the top up or down as they crossed near the salt flats, the car ran just fine.
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current

dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Postby dinghyguy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:06 am

Day 8 Boise to Issequah

The car continues to run well, the idle got faster as we came down in elevation, so need to readjust, but no big deal. The only issues today were traffic related, about 2-3 hours lost crawling to construction zones, most with no one working....grrrr.

All the traffic signs for the last 4 days have been warning about havy traffic on the roads today because of the eclipse, so we got up early and headed out. Left Boise about 7 am and traffic was fine. Drove up to a place called weiser just inside Oregon and pretty much in the middle of the zona de darkness. Parked beside the road and the river and waited.

Well actually worked on the courtesy light in the car. Figured out the previous owner had taken the power from one terminal and used it for other things yet to be determined. Cleaned the contacts and now the light comes on when the doors are opened so at least partial success.
Also added some oil to the engine, second quart on the trip.
While sitting waiting for the eclipse the guys behind us were playing guitar and singing, so we had an impromptu concert to go with the darkness.

the eclipse was cool, and after searching all across America for some glasses, a guy walks up to us at the rest stop sees us with our head in a box (pinhole camers) and offers us one of his surplus ones for free. So mike and I shared and got to see the entire thing, including the wave of darkness comeing at us across the mountain and valley. very cool.

then back on the road and stuck three times in major delays for construction. As noted twice there was no work going on, not even any equipment in site.

feels good to be back in the northwest, 3 1/2 hours from home, so tomorrow will be the end of the journey with statistics and stuff.

as always
gnight from
dinghyguy and mike.
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 am

johndemar wrote:
zachmac wrote:
johndemar wrote:I would still suspect the speedo cable is binding, and as far as glasses go, find a welding supply shop. I would think that would work, and you will probably need them in the future anyway. Though I admit, I haven't been following the eclipse protocol.

Sounds like you're having fun. Last time I did a cross country in the spider was over 30 years ago.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT use a welding mask. LOTS of warnings against this as they filter a completely different wavelength of light and you WILL PERMANENTLY damage your eyes. Worst case scenario go into the zone and beg someone to borrow theirs for a little bit of it. I'm right in the total eclipse of it and looking forward to tomorrow.

AGAIN, DO NOT use a welding mask, cannot stress it enough.

Thanks for the tip. That's what I get for assuming! :oops:

According to NASA a minimum #14 Arc Welding Lens is required (that would be for a 550 amp arc). Automatic helmets are not suitable since many only go to #10 or #12. You would be surprised how many showed up at work today with a pair of gas welding googles from Harbor Freight.

I stayed at my desk and put in a full days work for my full days pay. There are plenty of internet videos and stills to safely enjoy now.

dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Postby dinghyguy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 am

Last Day - finally home in Vancouver

The border guard was a trainee and completely puzzled when two guys roll up in a car with Ontario plates but claiming to live in north Vancouver and braggng about crossing the continent with the top down....he let us in but was clearly bemused.

A bit of final shopping, some wine for the ladies at home and across the border we went. Dropped mike at his place about 4 pm and then went home.

The car went 6082 km at about 110km/hr except during construction delays when it went about 5mph for way too many hours. top speed we hit was about 130-135 passing a guy.

Our travels have taken through 13 states and 2 provinces,
New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Washington plus of course Ontario and BC

Oil consumption was 1.25 quarts, which seemed reasonable for an old car. We consumed between 1 and 2 litres of water each driving.
top was up for 13 minutes total in Chicago. No other rain during the trip.
Most honks, waves and photos taken in one day of us on the road was 12 in Nebraska.
Corn was seen growing in all the states and provinces.
Todays mod was installing the new used handbrake black handle we go at Midwest (thanks Matt)
Best mod was the headlight relay, second was the sun visors.
Problems encountered included failure to start three times, once in Ohio, once in Pendelton Oregon where mike was looking in hat shops and western shops for a Fedora not a cowboy hat apparently (although I did see him with cowboy hats in his hands....) Apparently he want to be Indiana jones not Wyatt Earp. The final failure to start was here in Vancouver. In all three situations there was plenty of battery, so either starter solenoid or ignition switch. But since the ignition switch and brown wire mod are on the list we will see if that fixes it.

How many tv shows with cars as stars or major characters can you name, we got over twenty.

All the fiat forum people we met were super helpful and kind, thanks again to all of you.

over and out
dinghyguy and mike
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger

spiderdan
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1968 124 Sport Spider

Postby spiderdan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 am

Congrats to both of you (and the Spider)
Glad it all worked out.
Must be nice to sleep in your own bed after that trip
Relax and a well deserved pat on the back to both of you.
Dan
1968 124 Sport Spider
"Angelina"
2015 Toyota Camry XSE (hers)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (cottage toy)
http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/68spi ... t%20Spider
http://www.youtube.com/user/Coontache/videos

nelsonj
Your car is a: 1972 Spider 124

Postby nelsonj » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:33 am

Very well done and glad you made it safe. We still need to hear what tapes will be "keepers".
On behalf of all decent Americans (and most are), I'm sorry about the keying incident. I share your rage.

Again, well done and thanks very much for the updates. I really looked forward to them and enjoyed it.

Peace.
Out.
Simi Valley, California
Spider 1800
Romans 10:9

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Postby AriK » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 am

Great write up. Most of us underestimate the ability of our cars when they're maintained let alone a car with unproven history. Thanks for sharing.

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Postby baltobernie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 am

Great job, proving the naysayers (including me) wrong :lol: I'll bet the memories of this trip will remain with you always. Regarding the music, certain songs always conjure up particular images of roads for me. Maybe you'll experience this, too. Congrats.

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby Nanonevol » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:11 am

Reminds me of a joke:
Last year we drove across the country. We switched on the driving...every half
mile...We had one cassette tape to listen to on the entire trip...I don't
remember what it was. -- Steven Wright
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1967 Triumph Bonneville (hard-tail chopper)
1966 BSA Lightning

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

Postby phaetn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Wow - congrats Dan and Mike! What a trip!!

You fared better than I did: After breakfast at the start of your trip, I drove the 45 mins home and blew the head gasket about three blocks from my house. :) No biggie -- I'll button it back up by next week when the head is back from the machinist's.

As I said to you and Mike in the parking lot, I could see your car's suspension strain from the weight of the cast iron balls in both seats. ;)

Great to hear you are home without mishap, and no storms cells to drive through. Bummer about the keying, but cool re the eclipse and free glasses.

What was the drive through the Rockies like? Any strain on engine or brakes?

Your lack of oil consumption amazes me. I go through that in 160 miles of lift-off city driving, not across a whiole continent. Hopefully that will be cured with new valve seals!

Hats off to you two sirs, and to the tenacity of vintage Spiders.

Cheers,
phaetn / Gian
1974 CS1
32/36 DFEV; CompuTronix ign.
9.8:1 c/r; 40/80 intake cam w/ Isky springs
Vicks' SS header & adj. cam pulleys
A/R's progressive coils, Koni Yellow dampers
205/50-15s on CD-66 style rims
Momo wheel, Corbeau seats w/ 5 pt belt
pics and HD vids

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”