Pinion nut removal

General chat about the car goes in here.
gtmedley
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Sedan 1400 OHV Euro model

Re: Pinion nut removal

Postby gtmedley » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Joeype70 wrote:166 wow, wonder if my whining will go away once i can get this off and replace the seal and re-tighten her up?

The answer to that question is YES. When I replaced my pinion seal, I marked the nut position before removing it with an impact wrench. Installed the new seal, then retightened the nut about 30 degrees tighter than the original mark. No more leak and no more diff whine when you lift off the throttle, removing the torque.

To undo the bolt, just get about 18-24 inches of bar stock and drill two holes that match up with the driveshaft flange. Bolt up the bar stock and it will hit the bottom of the car, stopping it for turning, to remove the nut.

gtmedley
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Sedan 1400 OHV Euro model

Postby gtmedley » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 pm

Joeype70 wrote:Hi all, i am trying to remove the pinion nut and man im struggling. I have the wheels on the ground and using a breaker bar and no luck, i even tried some heat. Any suggestions to help get this baby loose? Feels like theres atleast 100lb of torque, shouldn't it be between 14-17 lbs? Its a 79 Pininfarina spider. Thank you.

To undo the bolt, just get about 18-24 inches of bar stock and drill two holes that match up with the driveshaft flange. Bolt up the bar stock and it will spin and stop against the bottom of the car, stopping it for turning, to remove the nut. Use and impact wrench, electric or air.

Joeype70
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina

Postby Joeype70 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks for the information!!

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”