Heater core firewall gasket

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
spiderman1
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider

Heater core firewall gasket

Postby spiderman1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:42 pm

I am looking for a little help- For the first time I have misplaced a part and I am not sure how to install my new heater core.
Here is the question- Does the firewall heater tube plate and gasket go just on the engine compartment side of the firewall? Is there any gasket on the passenger compartment side where the heater tube goes through the firewall.
Does anyone have a dash or heater box off that might be able to snap a picture?
I have ordered the parts from Vicks but would like to go ahead and put the heater box and fan back in if nothing goes on the passenger compartment side so that I can finish carpet and the consule this weekend-that part has not arrived

Thanks for the help

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Heater core firewall gasket

Postby Nanonevol » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:59 pm

Just recently replaced my heater control valve and I had no gasket on the inside firewall. There was a metal covered with rubber seal (or gasket) on the firewall in the engine compartment.
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1967 Triumph Bonneville (hard-tail chopper)
1966 BSA Lightning

spiderman1
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider

Postby spiderman1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Thanks,
So the two heater tubes just run out the firewall into the gsket/plate-Thanks so much.

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby Nanonevol » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:23 am

No problem. Here's the part sold by A/R:
http://www.autoricambi.us/product/HE0-4 ... gh-Gasket/
Mine was falling apart but I'm cheap so I peeled off the rubber and covered the metal piece with a product called "Sugru". It's a rubber like substance that comes sealed and sort of cures when exposed to air. Seems to be OK so far.
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1966 BSA Lightning

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby Nanonevol » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:51 am

On a related topic, when I was reconnecting things after replacing the heater control valve, I was unsure which of the hoses was heater intake and for that matter, unsure which hose under the hood was the hot one to go into the heater, or did it matter? I've looked at a lot of engine bay photos here and it seems to be a split - some do it one way, some the other. Do half of us have our heat hooked up wrong or is this something Fiat changed? (unlikely, I'd think) I think this came up once before but was not resolved satisfactorily. Mine was the "crossover" style originally with the hose from the top of the head going to the outermost opening in the firewall so I have it this way now. So you're all saying, "Well does your heat work dummy?" and the answer is "yes, well, maybe, it's always kind of hot...so I dunno."
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1966 BSA Lightning

Return to “Restoration Projects”