Laying carpet over wiring and heater control lines

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
spiderman1
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider

Laying carpet over wiring and heater control lines

Postby spiderman1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:50 am

I am curious if anyone has pictures and or advice for laying the carpet over the wiring to the left of the drivers seat/inside the door.
Does all the wiring fit in the metal "holds" that are welded to the car that you just bend over?
The reason for asking is that it just seems very bulky to me. I am looking for advice on making it a smooth look.
On the Transmission tunnel the heater control wires seem also to be in the way and sticking out a little. I am curious if anyone has had a great idea about tucking this stuff in tightly?
The heater control probably will tuck under the consol I guess but I have not re-installed that yet and they seem to hang down lower than the depth on the lower console.

Thanks for all the advice

lglade
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

Re: Laying carpet over wiring and heater control lines

Postby lglade » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:07 pm

I did my carpet recently and all of my wiring was held in place by those metal tabs running along the sill. The carpet does have a little extra "bulk" on that side, but it looks very good overall. That's the way the cars were made originally, so I just accepted it.

As to your transmission hump, you probably need a layer of carpet padding/jute to go under the cables. That area is know to produce a lot of heat so you'll want that insulation. I covered my entire floor with a layer of HushMat type material (foil over butyl rubber) and then a layer of 3/8" thick carpet padding in the main seating area. The carpet padding was glued over the top with some 3M spray on adhesive.
Lloyd Glade- Mukilteo, WA
1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzurra
1962 Fiat 500D - wife's car
2015 Subaru Outback
2017 Ford Focus RS

Texsardo
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider Convertible 1800

Re: Laying carpet over wiring and heater control lines

Postby Texsardo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:17 pm

I had the heater valve under passenger side blow one day. What a mess. Ripped everything out to bare metal. Coated floor in truck bed liner paint. And yes the tabs held all lines above dog panel, drivers side, quite well. But I pried them up and layer down a 1\4" thick aircraft quality heat resistant aluminum foil honeycombed material. Helped cut down road heat immensely. Plus helps against road noise. And I mean I covered every square inch from front to back trunk wall and over transmission tunnel hump. Then laid all wiring and tubing back gently. On top of that I used a 3/8" jute fabric with one side has heat resistant aluminum foil backing. That I glued aluminium side over the already in place aluminum matting from above description. Nice, guiet, and almost no heat radiation. Plus padding makes the carpet I replaced feel thick and soft. I really like the look and feel.
http://rs30.pbsrc.com/albums/c332/texsa ... 0&fit=clip
http://rs30.pbsrc.com/albums/c332/texsa ... 0&fit=clip

Return to “Restoration Projects”