Speedometer cable question?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Funcar
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Speedometer cable question?

Postby Funcar » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:06 pm

My speedometer was not working. I have pulled the cable out and left the sheath in place. The speedometer end of the cable is rounded. Can I simply buy a new cable and feed it back through the old sheath then reattach?
Glen
Kitchener ON Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Re: Speedometer cable question?

Postby DieselSpider » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:57 pm

You usually need to find out why the speedometer end is rounded off. The speedometer may be too hard to turn and locks up when its cold or the sheave may not be plugged all the way into the back of the speedometer. A damaged speedometer cable is many times just a symptom of another problem such as a speedometer in need of service.

Funcar
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Re: Speedometer cable question?

Postby Funcar » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks for your response.

This car had been in storage for almost 30 years. The speedometer didn't work on the first test drive.

First step I took was to remove and inspect at the transmission. End looked ok but didn't turn freely. When I turned the cable the speedometer didn't move. Next step was to remove at speedometer. Cable had a small rounded area and again didn't move freely. Pulled the cable out and it was gummed up. Removed the speedometer and the squared insertion section for the cable looks good. Used the drill (reverse ) and old cable and the speedometer worked as I got it up to 60. Granted I had to insert the cable so it would seat in the speedometer.

I degreased the cable and have been pushing it down the sheath repeating the process so as to clean it out. I guess when I get the new cable I will just lube it and install as is.

Can you tell me if there is some problems I may have missed.

My favorite vendor is back ordered on speedometer cables. My speedometer issue is the last item I need to resolve before I have the mechanicl inspection on my 3 year restoration. I really want to drive my spider before the snow. Does anyone have a speedometer cable for sale?
Glen
Kitchener ON Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124

Return to “Restoration Projects”