My very first experience

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
MrToon
Your car is a: 1978 CS1

Re: My very first experience

Postby MrToon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:33 am

Engine and gearbox are fitted and ready to be installed, just waiting for some extra hands. Installed new brake lines, fuel lines and holding brackets and front brakes. Finally got the parts for the rear brakes, but ran into the ever returning problems with the wedge or pivot pin. It was easy to install by clamping it in a vise, but I can't find the orientation of the treaded rod respective to the caliper. The Mirafiori guide doesn't specify this either. I assembled them in two ways and compared them with the Mirafiori finished calipers (https://www.mirafiori.com/faq/content/rearbrakes/fiatcalipers.htm second to last picture). This would mean that the longer leg of the threaded rod faces the inside of the caliper. It seems to fit better and provides a longer stroke versus the other way around. HOWEVER, THE FIAT PARTS GUIDE SHOWS IT THE OTHER WAY AROUND! Can anyone please confirm this? I have to do most of the rebuilding with this as my guide, I bought the car completely disassembled.

CORRECT?

WRONG? The lever hits the retractor, another indicator that this is probably not right.

MrToon

Postby MrToon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:32 am

So, brakes are working fine and clutch is installed. Most of the engine is prepared for starting, only left with priming the and engine oil and filling and bleeding the cooling system.

The PO did a number on the wiring, so I pulled it all and have almost managed to go back to stock. I will add a relay for the headlights though. Turns out that the high beam switch and high beam flasher are broken. PO bypassed green straight to gray/red.

Only wires that are still unidentified are which ones go to the switch left of the steering column. I have no idea what is switched by this, it has two connection points. I was wondering if I could make this into the high beam/low beam switch.

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Postby baltobernie » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:02 pm

It looks like the PO installed a rocker switch in the hole which was originally used for the manual choke cable and knob.

Those rubber fuel lines in the cockpit make me nervous.

MrToon

Postby MrToon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:17 am

Thanks! I understand the concern, but that's where the lines were placed originaly too. I'll make sure to check them on the regular.

Return to “Restoration Projects”