Transmission rebuild

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
rjkoop
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Transmission rebuild

Postby rjkoop » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:01 am

So I have a grinding issue at high RPMs going from 1st to 2nd. I have to let the RPM come down to below 2500 RPM or it will grind. Other than that tranny works fine. So looks like a synchronizer ring and a tranny rebuild is in order.

My question is regarding removing the tranny. I wasn't looking forward to removing the tranny from below. Would it be easier (in some ways) to just remove the tranny with the engine from the top? Or is that a crap load more work? And would I need to remove the head before attempting to remove the engine or can the engine/head/tranny be removed together?

I just hate lying under the car but don't want to create a huge amount more work for myself.

Or would most just say live with it and don't rebuild the tranny for a relatively minor issue? I'm kind of torn! :?

ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Re: Transmission rebuild

Postby ORFORD2004 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Why do you want to unplug everything on the engine when you need just the transmission? No benefit except for the 2 upper bolts. You can reach them from under with universal joint and about 2 foot extension. Just unbolt the driveshaft at the donut and move it away. Remove the 3 bolts under the shifter and the nut under the cap. You can now remove the shifter from the top. Remove the 2 or 3 bolts of the starter. Remove the 4 bolts from the engine and you pull it back. Remember to unplug the battery and clutch cable.

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:40 pm

ORFORD2004 wrote:Why do you want to unplug everything on the engine when you need just the transmission? No benefit except for the 2 upper bolts. You can reach them from under with universal joint and about 2 foot extension. Just unbolt the driveshaft at the donut and move it away. Remove the 3 bolts under the shifter and the nut under the cap. You can now remove the shifter from the top. Remove the 2 or 3 bolts of the starter. Remove the 4 bolts from the engine and you pull it back. Remember to unplug the battery and clutch cable.

Doesn't sound too bad. And I did just rebuild the top end of the engine and it's working well. Don't want to muddle with that. Thanks for the words of wisdom. :D

Richard

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby Nanonevol » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Don't forget to take this off (between trans and motor lower) like I did and couldn't figure out why the trans would not back off the motor!
Follow my rebuild here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29245
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1967 Triumph Bonneville (hard-tail chopper)
1966 BSA Lightning

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Nanonevol wrote:Don't forget to take this off (between trans and motor lower) like I did and couldn't figure out why the trans would not back off the motor!
Follow my rebuild here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29245

Hehe! Great picture. Yep, I've noticed that piece before. Any words of wisdom on the rebuild? Hopefully I won't get over my head on this one. I guess there are a few specialty tools you need for this job.

I hate the fact that you have to be 100% perfect and can't really see if it works until it's installed and drive it though the gears. I'm pretty methodical so hopefully that will be to my advantage on this one.

Richard

ORFORD2004

Postby ORFORD2004 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 pm

I did mine with no special tool. I bought a bearing kit on ebay and all synchro from one of the vendor.

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby Nanonevol » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:52 pm

The rebuild part was actually kind of fun. The taking out and putting back in not so much. It has to go in and come out at an angle. Going in I angled the shift knob end up into the car first and then brought the bellhouse end up. Then it can be a bit of a trick to pull it forward lined up just right. I used two jacks and levers and straps and such to position.
I don't think you need to do the rebuild 100% perfect but yeah, I had some anxiety that it wouldn't work and I'd be doing it over. Didn't happen! Whew!
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1966 BSA Lightning

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:08 pm

I you replace the clutch while your at it be sure to be fussy about aligning it with the tool provided and use the correct grease on the pilot bearing.

Sometimes gear grinding is from issues with the pilot bearing/bushing which is discussed in the following WIKI:
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Pilot_bearing_and_bushings

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Weather is getting about 0 degrees C so going to tackle a few jobs before the Spring driving begins. So 1st up I'm going to remove the transmission and replace the 1st to 2nd synchro ring and any other worn parts I see.

Going to try to take pictures and hopefully I'll video the entire process to help others to know what to do... or what not to do (!)... if they want to tackle the job.

Richard

rug
Your car is a: 1971 sport coupe

Postby rug » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:52 am

Weather is getting about 0 degrees C so going to tackle a few jobs before the Spring driving begins. So 1st up I'm going to remove the transmission and replace the 1st to 2nd synchro ring and any other worn parts I see.

Going to try to take pictures and hopefully I'll video the entire process to help others to know what to do... or what not to do (!)... if they want to tackle the job.

I'd love to se how easy or hard this is to do by yourself! I will problably need to replace the 2nd gear syncro soon and possibly also the input shaft bearing.

/C

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby Nanonevol » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:54 am

If you're just an average backyard mechanic like me, it's fairly challenging. But it is rewarding and no real special tools needed.
There are some videos out there on You Tube.
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1966 BSA Lightning

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:37 pm

Nanonevol wrote:If you're just an average backyard mechanic like me, it's fairly challenging. But it is rewarding and no real special tools needed.
There are some videos out there on You Tube.

I think I'm up for the challenge!

Started today. Removed the speedo cable and reverse indicator. Got all the bolts loosened up on the bell housing and starter from underneath. As expected the driver's top bell housing bolt was the worst but only took about 20 mins and lots of extensions! No rounded/stripped/broken bolts which is what my big worry always is when doing a job on the car for the 1st time.

Tomorrow I'll remove the guibo (spelling?) driveshaft connection and I'll support the transmission with a low profile jack, remove all the bolts (including starter), support bracket and then hope I can move it back from the engine without too much prying. And hope I'll have room under the car to move it back and lower it enough to get it out.

And yep, I've watched the videos. They're quite useful for sure. I think the one special tool I'll need is the one to remove the bearing from the shafts. At least that's what he used in the video.

Richard

ORFORD2004

Postby ORFORD2004 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:00 pm

I think the one special tool I'll need is the one to remove the bearing from the shafts. At least that's what he used in the video.

You can do the grease trick :idea:

MattiR
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider BS1 49498

Postby MattiR » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:53 am

Hi Richard,

I took it as a challenge as well to renew all bearings and gaskets due to grinding noise. With Shop manual it is not so difficult. Some tricks needed to remove and install the two spring washers.
I had to tilt the gearbox heavily in order to get it out. Bellhousing is touching the car body, and not possible to pull straight backwards. I replaced clutch and the bearing in crankshaft as well, and the flywheel was lightened a bit.
Now I am installing the gearbox back, but looks like I did not align the clutch carefully, so need to wiggle the gearbox away again. And I do it all on garage floor without a lift. Great fun though!!

Good luck with your efforts!!
Matti
Fiat 124 Sport Spider -11/71
MB 560SL- 87

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:38 pm

ORFORD2004 wrote:
I think the one special tool I'll need is the one to remove the bearing from the shafts. At least that's what he used in the video.

You can do the grease trick :idea:

Tell me more... What is this great trick you speak of???

Richard

Return to “Restoration Projects”