Door loose

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
steve1
Your car is a: 1980 124 Spider

Door loose

Postby steve1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:05 pm

I have a 1980 and found that I can move the door up when it is open. I removed the interior panel and seems that the bottom bracket is where the movement occurs but all 3 bolts are tight. The framing inside the door panel does not move, the plate where the 3 bolts screw into seems to move. How do I tighten the door?

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Re: Door loose

Postby AriK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:46 am

Hi Steve,
Chances are that your hinge is worn and that would be your best case scenario. You can search ebay for a good tight one and try to replace it, it's easy enough. (I doubt if any of the vendors sell any cloned new ones yet, maybe someone can chime in on that).
You will then have to re-evaluate and check whether your top one has too much loose, or even worse, you may discover that the top of the door has the dreaded crack that these cars develop. In that case, the door needs to be removed and a good welder needs to carefully solidify.
Another area that has to be checked for play is the box area on the a-pillar where the hinge attaches to. Again, a good welder must perform some careful surgery inside that confined space while the door is removed and the interior of the car is adequately fire-protected.
Hope this helps.

Return to “Restoration Projects”