vent window rubber question

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
forestrytodd
Your car is a: 1977 124 spider

vent window rubber question

Postby forestrytodd » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:33 pm

When I bought my 1977 the PO did tons of work to it to restore it. It's got new sheet metal and new paint. Most of the mechanical stuff is complete with some tinkering stuff and plenty of maintenance to do. The rubber seals were a different story though. Some have been replaced and others missing. I've got them done all but the windows now. The window channel is no issue as I've done those on old Chevy's before but the vent windows are another issue.

I've read on the post and have researched the process and now I'm ready to buy rubbers and do it. My current windows don't even close because the PO tried to put some in at some point and they don't even sit in the slots well. The latches are even missing so I've got to get those too.

So here's my question:

They all say trimming required. Who's done theirs and where did you have to trim? How much? is there a set of rubbers I can buy that don't require trimming? I can't believe they trimmed them at the factory to install all of them.

What's the best method of doing this process or pointers you can give. And knowing what NOT to do is just as beneficial! :shock:

Whats the best method for gluing the latches to the glass where they will STAY put?

Thanks,

Todd

Return to “Restoration Projects”