Still looks like a Miata

Discuss everything about the "new" 124 Spider here! The good, bad and ugly, anything goes. But keep it clean please!
johndemar
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Still looks like a Miata

Postby johndemar » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Good to know there's a difference :roll:
76 Fiat 124 Spider
One owner since July 20, 1976
Amadio Motor, Jeannette, PA

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby Nanonevol » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Besides the way it looks, isn't the Fiat quite different under the hood with an Italian motor to be shipped to Japan to install?
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1967 Triumph Bonneville (hard-tail chopper)
1966 BSA Lightning

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:55 am

Nanonevol wrote:Besides the way it looks, isn't the Fiat quite different under the hood with an Italian motor to be shipped to Japan to install?

Read Rowan Horncastle's Top Gear article at the link I posted and it covers the differences between the two engines Mazda uses in the MX5 and the Fiat engine used in the new Spider along with all the other differences. Scroll down and the dual image of the White Spider and Red MX5 overlayed with a slider tool will make seeing the differences easier. A little longer, wider and such. Only the wheel arches, windshield and basic interior are the same.

"Where the MX-5 bucks the current trend towards forced induction by offering two flavours of high-reving natural aspiration – a 129bhp 1.5-litre and 158bhp 2.0-litre – Fiat has embraced the turbo era by shoving the 1.4-litre MultiAir from the Alfa Giulietta under the 124’s humpy hood. Kicking out 140bhp, power sits in between the two Mazda options. But torque, at 178lb ft, trumps both.

It’s the first time this engine has been used in a rear-drive car, forcing Fiat to mount it longitudinally, mated to the short-throw six-speed gearbox from the MX-5.

Performance figures haven’t been quoted yet. But as the Spider weighs the same as the lower-powered MX-5 but with more torque, we’d guess it’ll run from a standstill to 62mph in under eight seconds."

See: http://www.topgear.com/car-news/first-look/meet-fiats-124-spider-italys-mx-5-based-answer-mx-5?bid=9160635&sid=1771407&pid=124474328&adid=298352865&cid=0&buytype=LF&TR=1&channel=display

Still not 100% on board with it however its kinda growing on me, hopefully not in the same manner as a wart.

bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Postby bradartigue » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:03 am

Its just so boring to look at. Miatas are boring. Hence the mass appeal.

johndemar
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby johndemar » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:38 am

My comment was only meant regarding the cosmetic appeal of the car.
An Abarth version may run like a scalded cat!

Any word if they will produce one?

And I'll hold off final judgement until I see one up close, and am able to read the sticker price :shock:
76 Fiat 124 Spider
One owner since July 20, 1976
Amadio Motor, Jeannette, PA

clbrenta
Your car is a: fiat 124 spider 1973 year

Postby clbrenta » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:12 am

divace73 wrote:
clbrenta wrote:If Tom didn't have (and he still) talent, Pininfarina didn't call him from America.
http://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29239&p=246094&hilit=124+Spider+Rondine+Tjaarda#p246094
Avoids to read the nonsense of some famous writer :wink:
Ciao

I'm not sure what you are tying to state here??

It would have been nice if FCA commissioned Tjaarda to pen the new 124 but that doesn't appear to be the case at all??

Tom Tjaarda
"A stylist from overseas"
This book was presented to the public directly from Tom !!
Do not copy and paste as maaaany books in circulation ...
Claudio
I do not know English very well and I will use "google traslator".
Please forgive me and if you want I would be happy to be corrected.

http://www.claudiobrentaarchitetto.com/inglese/home-2

bradartigue

Postby bradartigue » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Wow, drag me into your shitpile, clbrenta? No thanks. You can be inaccurate all by your lonesome.

clbrenta

Postby clbrenta » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:37 am

Bradartigue,
I do not think the forum is done for personal answers. This is the first and the last time that I do.
If I had written what you wrote, I would be ashamed.
It is from the first reply that you are offensive. If you like you can go ahead... With your empty stories.
Last edited by clbrenta on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Claudio

spiderdan
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1968 124 Sport Spider

Postby spiderdan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:06 am

So I'm trying hard to follow this thread. Me thinks some things might have been lost in translation.
Not knowing as much as some/most of you on the design history of the 124 Spider, I did what 4uall would suggest...I googled Tom Tjaarda.
Found this vid on youtube:

https://youtu.be/XXWY5O2eUtM

At 1:24 (coincidence?) he shows the 1965 Fiat 124 Pininfarina Spider. And other beautiful masterpieces.

Now I know.

And I thought we were going to discuss whether the new Spider will end up being another "chick car"? :wink:
Dan
1968 124 Sport Spider
"Angelina"
2015 Toyota Camry XSE (hers)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (cottage toy)
http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/68spi ... t%20Spider
http://www.youtube.com/user/Coontache/videos

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby Nanonevol » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:45 am

Thanks for the video link. It's funny to me that Tom even made a 64 Shelby Mustang look a bit like a Spider! Actually, I think it did anyway. Especially the rear fender curve. My first running car was a much loved rust bucket of a 68 Mustang with the 289.
Last edited by Nanonevol on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1966 BSA Lightning

bradartigue

Postby bradartigue » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:49 am

clbrenta wrote:Bradartigue,
I do not think the forum is done for personal answers. This is the first and the last time that I do.
If I had written what you wrote, I would be ashamed.
It is from the first reply that you are offensive. If you like you can go ahead.

I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say, sorry. Translate this: Don't try to drag me into your ignorant conversations and then act like a hurt puppy. It's pathetic.

clbrenta

Postby clbrenta » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:44 pm

[quote="clbrenta"]Bradartigue,
If you don't have absolutely no idea what i am trying to say, sorry. Lo scrivo in Lomgobardo:
Non credo che il forum è fatto per risposte personali. Questa è la prima e l'ultima volta che faccio.
Se avessi scritto quello che Lei ha scritto, mi vergognerei. "Rispetto". Sempre. E usi la Testa!
E 'dalla sua prima risposta che lei è offensivo. Non le ho mai risposto perché per lei provo solo compassione.
Se Le piace, può andare avanti ... con le tue storie vuote.
Last edited by clbrenta on Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Claudio

clbrenta

Postby clbrenta » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:53 pm

clbrenta wrote:
Redline wrote:
clbrenta wrote:Just look the difference between the 124 spider designed by him and the 124 sedan or coupe designed by the "Centro stile FIAT".

I think both are valid and attractive. Part of the reason I bought a Coupe, after years of experience with a friend's spider, was passing by a parked Coupe while walking through town (had never seen one before) and seeing some very interesting lines emerging. Boano did some quite harmonious things with the design of the Coupe. The symmetry of the greenhouse, the rear Kamm-like tail matching the slight forward rake of the nose, the quite prominent tumblehome and light-breaking crease on the upper body, and the nifty little line that starts at the door and heads over the rear "shoulders" of the car. It's subtle, but I park every day next to an Alfa Bertone coupe and find the Fiat just as successful, in a different way.

Of course I like the Spider too.

Often the car designed by Pininfarina are masterpieces. In Italy there is no one like him. (perhaps only the team - Ferrari style center). For me, the 124 coupe is beautiful. An extremely clean. Balance and proportion. And so pleasant to watch. A "True" Classic car. The small model of the 124 c is almost always present in the collections. But, Pininfarina did ... masterpieces ...
:wink:
The nice thing is that everyone loves his car

I hope, that I expressed my thoughts correctly. Even the small model of the 124 spider is almost always present in the collections. Because THEY ARE true Classic Car.
Everything else is to be forgotten.
Claudio

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby Nanonevol » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:39 pm

My biggest complaint (not that I'm about to buy one right away) about the new Spider is that it isn't a 2+2. I like to have a passenger and maybe throw a bag of groceries or a kid or a dog in the back seat. I think it looks OK.
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1966 BSA Lightning

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:32 pm

Nanonevol wrote:My biggest complaint (not that I'm about to buy one right away) about the new Spider is that it isn't a 2+2. I like to have a passenger and maybe throw a bag of groceries or a kid or a dog in the back seat. I think it looks OK.

My Miata friends comment that the back seat on my 1978 124 Spider is one of the best features of the car. Being able to pick up a friend with parcel and having a place to put it without going to the trunk is a great thing. When they ride with me they just toss that backpack, overnight bag, etc in the back seat while with their Miata they have to put it under their feet, carry it on their lap or put it in the trunk.

Return to “NEW 124 SPIDER”