Prep before start?

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
architect
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider

Prep before start?

Postby architect » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Hello!

I’m about to fire up my 124 for the first time in a year.. was wondering if I need to prep anything prior.. this is what I have done since last cruise.

-new gas tank (been empty since feb 17)
-new electrical fuel pump
-converted all fuel lines to two stainless braided lines with AN fittings
-new holly fuel pressure reg and filter
-new Weber 34 adf
- Allison Distributorless ignition

I have read to pour a gas little in carb.. etc, but my carb has a return line, do I really need to do that? What about oil? Should I crank starter a few times before turning the elec fuel pump on? (I have kill switch). I’m new to carbs.. so need to ask!

Any advice would be great. A year is a long time and a little nervous!
78 Fiat 124

zachmac
Your car is a: 1978 Spider [1979 2 ltr engine]

Re: Prep before start?

Postby zachmac » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:47 am

Check choke and throttle linkage at carb to make sure working with no binding. A stuck choke will give you fits.
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12

njoconnor
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Postby njoconnor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:59 am

The past few winters, I've started the car monthly, but this one's been a really busy one. First start coming up in about a week or two. Still a good idea to drop a small amount of oil down the plug openings, or ? Been on a battery maintainer all winter, so no worries on cranking.

Thanks

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
14 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe
and a host of Audi's, Saabs, VW's, MOPAR's, Fords, and a Bimmer....

GeorgeT
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby GeorgeT » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 am

After sitting that long, I would change the oil and oil filter. Also check the coolant. I would remove the ignition coil wire and spin the motor to build up oil pressure before firing.

architect

Postby architect » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:32 am

zachmac wrote:Check choke and throttle linkage at carb to make sure working with no binding. A stuck choke will give you fits.

Oh that reminds me... so my new carb has an electric choke (vs water on my previous).

How do these work.. does the electcity (Positive I assume?) engage or the choke?
78 Fiat 124

njoconnor

Postby njoconnor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks, George; oil/filter change was on the immediate to-do list anyway.

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe

zachmac
Your car is a: 1978 Spider [1979 2 ltr engine]

Postby zachmac » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:49 pm

architect wrote:
zachmac wrote:Check choke and throttle linkage at carb to make sure working with no binding. A stuck choke will give you fits.

Oh that reminds me... so my new carb has an electric choke (vs water on my previous).

How do these work.. does the electcity (Positive I assume?) engage or the choke?

Choke should be mostly closed when cold. Once you turn on the key you power a coiled spring that expands as the electricity heats it and this acts like an unwinding spring that opens the choke. Be aware that if you turn the key to "on" it starts heating the choke element even if you aren't running. If you just went to on and sat there the choke would fully open eventually which makes it hard to start a cold engine, so if for any reason you are going to have the key ON for an extended period before starting unplug the hot wire to the choke. Basically it is just a matter of how long the choke is energized, not really a function of engine temp at all.

Also a good idea to kick full down on the throttle before you start to make sure the choke is released to the almost closed position. They can hang open after the last time running. If they do you'll crank forever and never start (ask me how I know :D ).
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12

architect

Postby architect » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:00 am

zachmac wrote:
architect wrote:

Choke should be mostly closed when cold. Once you turn on the key you power a coiled spring that expands as the electricity heats it and this acts like an unwinding spring that opens the choke. Be aware that if you turn the key to "on" it starts heating the choke element even if you aren't running. If you just went to on and sat there the choke would fully open eventually which makes it hard to start a cold engine, so if for any reason you are going to have the key ON for an extended period before starting unplug the hot wire to the choke. Basically it is just a matter of how long the choke is energized, not really a function of engine temp at all.

Also a good idea to kick full down on the throttle before you start to make sure the choke is released to the almost closed position. They can hang open after the last time running. If they do you'll crank forever and never start (ask me how I know :D ).

Wow very nice description! Thanks for sharing the info.. this makes it much easier on my end. I will verify the wire is hot during run position!
78 Fiat 124

architect

Postby architect » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 am

njoconnor wrote:Thanks, George; oil/filter change was on the immediate to-do list anyway.

Neil

I haven’t changed the actual oil (myself) since I have own the car. The PO changed it a month or so before delivering the car..

I would like to swap the oil my self before I start her up. Because my car is lowered (suspension) I purchase a marine oil pump to “suck up” the oil from the pan... since it’s been sitting for a while, this is the perfect opportunity.

When pulling the oil filter, am I going to expect a large amount of oil to fall from the neck? Just want to make sure I don’t create a huge mess in my new garage!
78 Fiat 124

njoconnor

Postby njoconnor » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 am

Sorry....didn't see the reply notification until this morning. More caffeine.....

My suspension is also "lowered", though the "lowering" springs don't decrease ride height much on small bumper cars. I also used a pump on my last two changes, then slid a catch pan under the oil filter before removing it (belly pan has been off the car since the rebuild; it's one of this springs re-install chores). The catch pan caught the few drips from the oil filter neck, saving the garage floor (which is anything but pristine in my case).

This spring, I'm jacking the front end and doing it the old way: drain the pan through the drain plug. I'm installing a magnetic drain plug that's been sitting in the "new parts" box for a year or two. Once changed, start it up and move to the "work bay" for refresh work on the brake system.

Since 40+ y/o cars tend to ooze things anyway, I ordered a 3x6 vinyl mat with hard borders through Home Depot when we moved into the current house. I can slide it around any of the vehicles we have, but it mainly lives under the Spider in case of oozes. It was very helpful last spring when changing out all the radiator and cooling hoses, as well as while cleaning the engine bay.

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe

GeorgeT
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby GeorgeT » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:35 am

architect wrote:
njoconnor wrote:Thanks, George; oil/filter change was on the immediate to-do list anyway.

Neil

I haven’t changed the actual oil (myself) since I have own the car. The PO changed it a month or so before delivering the car..

I would like to swap the oil my self before I start her up. Because my car is lowered (suspension) I purchase a marine oil pump to “suck up” the oil from the pan... since it’s been sitting for a while, this is the perfect opportunity.

When pulling the oil filter, am I going to expect a large amount of oil to fall from the neck? Just want to make sure I don’t create a huge mess in my new garage!

If has been sitting a long time all or most of the oil should have drained into the pan so I wouldn't expect any to drip from the oil filter mount but the oil filter will be full of oil so be careful there. Just for grins I would have some cardboard or several layers of newspapers under just in case.

architect

Postby architect » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:31 am

GeorgeT wrote:
architect wrote:

Neil

If has been sitting a long time all or most of the oil should have drained into the pan so I wouldn't expect any to drip from the oil filter mount but the oil filter will be full of oil so be careful there. Just for grins I would have some cardboard or several layers of newspapers under just in case.

Thanks! I found a YouTube video of someone putting a plastic bag around the filter, then unscrewing... the bag pics up the final drips.

Just ordered the magnetic plug from AR. Looking for the lowest / flattest oil container too. Would really like to advoid crawling under the car at all cost!
78 Fiat 124

njoconnor

Postby njoconnor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 am

architect wrote:
architect wrote:
Thanks! I found a YouTube video of someone putting a plastic bag around the filter, then unscrewing... the bag pics up the final drips.

Just ordered the magnetic plug from AR. Looking for the lowest / flattest oil container too. Would really like to avoid crawling under the car at all cost!

Cat litter pan, with or without (clean) cat litter. Low, wide, holds a lot.

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe

architect

Postby architect » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:15 am

Car started first try! Lot of work (13 months!) and idled amazing! No gas in carb required.

Thanks for the help!
78 Fiat 124

Return to “Engine and Tuning”