Throttle linkage

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
normark
Your car is a: 1969 124 Spider

Throttle linkage

Postby normark » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:59 pm

I'm currently struggling a bit with my throttle linkage. It's highly modified and I can't figure out how to get it working with my new carbs.. The way the rod comes in through the firewall and connects to the pedal almost horizontal is way strange too..

Does anyone have pictures of how it's supposed to look? Are there several variants of the rod linkage one and the cable one, or does all look the same?

I've tried to search in this forum and online but I haven't found any pics of the original setup yet

I'm trying to put in some IDF's with waffle manifold. But the arm that has been cut off bumps into the manifold. So If I run this setup the throttle will go from about half to full, no less. So that's no real difference from how I drive the car today ;)

Of course I could just cut the remaining part of the arm and use the parts that I have available and perhaps get it working. But I would like some more input first. Is this arm for the hand throttle or what?

Or should I go for a cable (upgrade) instead? But how am I supposed to connect that to the rod?

I'll post some pics if I figure out how

normark

Re: Throttle linkage

Postby normark » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:41 pm

aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby aj81spider » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:56 pm

The top arm is used for the throttle knob. Here's a picture I took when I was pulling mine out of the car (with the pedal linkage disconnected and hanging free). Mine is a 74, and if you are using the same linkage it looks like you're missing the piece that actually connects to the throttle control bar.

Hope it helps.

A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)

normark

Postby normark » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:03 am

Ah, this helps a lot

Mine is actually connected to the throttle control bar via the lower arm. But where does that go in the original setup. Is it only for the spring that pulls the pedal back to idle position?

Is it possible to fit dual IDF's with waffle manifold with this linkage? Or do I need to modify anyway?

carl
Your car is a: 1971 128

Postby carl » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:42 pm

Your best bet is to convert your car to the later cable style throttle. This will require the pedal assembly and two nylon mounts, the cable, the rocker assembly that attaches to the intake cam cover and a proper cam cover with the two mounting studs. You should be able to get all the parts as a "kit" from anyone parting out a 75 or later spider. With this rig you can operate a single carb or twin IDFs. To use your early style pedal assembly (one that isn't butchered) you would need the IDF specific linkage parts and they are as rare as a rust free Fiat.

carl

normark

Postby normark » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Does anyone recognise one any of these? The short one was used for my single carb setup. But it was only mounted in the cam box, not the fire wall

dutchspiderrider
Your car is a: 1970 BS1

Postby dutchspiderrider » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:26 am

Hi Nomark,

Since I'm struggling with the same puzzle (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30312&hilit=pedal+throttle+linkage), I'm very interested in the solution (if any) you made for your spider. It would help if you could send some photo's! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanx,

Ralph

dutchspiderrider
Your car is a: 1970 BS1

Postby dutchspiderrider » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 am

Just to round this thread up:

Went for a solution with a '78 accelerator pedal, cable through the firewall towards a throttle linkage assembly mounted on the cam cover.

Had to purchase a "new" cam cover which mounting points and the throttle linkage. Both from Midwest-Bayless, because not to be found in Holland. Accelerator pedal came from the UK via e-bay. The throttle cable I had (came with the engine) was pimped (shortened, threaded, curved, etc.) and after lots of proove of concepts now goes quite smooth.

So this puzzle has been solved, also thanks to your input!

Return to “Engine and Tuning”