Gaskets or Toyota RTV Sealant

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
70spider
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat spider

Gaskets or Toyota RTV Sealant

Postby 70spider » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:18 pm

I got the new oil pump today, which is the last piece to complete the short block. The engine before leaked pretty good from just about every where; oil pan, rear crank seal, fuel pump, exhaust cam tower, and the auxiliary shaft's cover bracket that holds the seal. My question is my Mazda, which has 222000 miles on it doesn't leak from anywhere and does not use gaskets but rather RTV sealant. So would it be better to use Toyota RTV sealant on the oil pan and the covers that hold the seals or just use gaskets?
1970 Fiat Spider 124 Sport aka "Pesto"
2002 Mazda Protege5
2013 Buddy 170i

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Gaskets or Toyota RTV Sealant

Postby baltobernie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:45 pm

Apples and oranges. Just about every component on a modern car is vastly superior to a vintage one. It is a rare vintage Fiat that doesn't leak somewhere. A good gasket set, recommended sealant and proper torque will keep the leakage to a minimum.

Yadkin
Your car is a: 1974 Spider

Postby Yadkin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:50 pm

With any old car engine/ transmission pan I have found the best way to prevent leaks if to carefully straighten the sheet metal pan on a flat bench, clean both surfaces completely, and use a good quality synthetic (non-cork) gasket. "Glue" the gasket onto the pan using black RTV sealant and let it set for about an hour, gasket side down on your flat bench with a full gallon jug for weight. While waiting clean the bolt threads then apply blue Lok-Tite on them so they don't back out after assembly. Then apply a thin film of RTV on the machine side and bolt it on, first finger tight, then 1/4 the factory torque, then 1/2 the factory torque. You might be able to go to 3/4 or even full torque, but monitor the shape of the pan flange so it does not distort.

I've put pans on like this for years and said goodbye to leaks long ago.

70spider
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat spider

Postby 70spider » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info, sounds good. I plan I getting a new oil pan, mine has seen to many sleeping policeman.
1970 Fiat Spider 124 Sport aka "Pesto"
2002 Mazda Protege5
2013 Buddy 170i

Return to “Engine and Tuning”