oil leaking into coolant HELP!!

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
DougArt98
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

oil leaking into coolant HELP!!

Postby DougArt98 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and wanted to start off with a huge issue I ran into a few weeks ago with my 1972 Fiat spider 124. I was on my way home from out of town and all of a sudden the vents stopped putting out heat as i was driving into my neighborhood. The engine was not overheated but was running hotter than normal. As soon as I pulled into my driveway I opened the hood and the hose leading from my heater core to the cylinder head had burst and there was milky oil all over my engine. I took off the radiator cap and sure enough there was milky oil everywhere... My first thought was a blown head gasket. However... after dismantling the head I inspected the head gasket and it was perfectly fine with no signs of damage or failure.. I even checked and emptied the oil and no water was to be found.. :/ I am very concerned that there may be a crack and I suspect that it may be the head because about a year ago I had bought the car with a blown head gasket and had the head and valves worked. I have heard that for some reason on fiats, if any work like that is done to the head it will almost never reseal again :?. Is this true?? And is there anything else I should consider before assuming a crack?

gchocevar
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina 2000

Re: oil leaking into coolant HELP!!

Postby gchocevar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:44 pm

I had the same thing happen on a 85 Cutlass Sierra and a 90 Grand Am. After a careful inspection I noticed a hairline crack in the cylinder wall on the Cutlass. We had to replace the block. The Grand Am was definitely a head gasket and ran for years after that.

Good luck!
Greg

Return to “Engine and Tuning”