New fuel gremlin on 84 FI

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
vdesigner99
Your car is a: 1984 Pinanfarina spyder

New fuel gremlin on 84 FI

Postby vdesigner99 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 pm

New gremlin after three years of worry free driving on my 84'
I took car out, noticed that the gas gauge read empty. So went to station filled it up.
Went home and noticed that something was dripping from rear, gas. I lifted card and obvious that the original hose to pump was leaking at the union to the pump. Probably why the tank was empty after 3 week of no use. So I pinched the hose with vise grips about 10 inches from the pump and noticed that in doing so the hose kinda crunched. So I cut off about 1 inch and refitted and tightened hose clamp. Car would not start, WHAT! i went back down there and pulled hose, plenty of fuel being siphoned from tank. I think that the hose may have corroded and debris plugged the pump. Is is cleanable? I am also inclined to change the fuel hose, probably just standard fuel line from Autozone. My other question is if I pull the hose from the top of the tank is it going to spray everywhere or do I have to drain the tank first. I'm guessing that if I pull hose thru body and elevate above the tank there will not be a siphon effect.
Also is there a big difference on vendor for pumps? Ive seen prices from $38 to $256.08. These are Amazon, napa, orelliey and VAS. I know you get what you pay for and don't want a made in china one but dang its hard to decide.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Victor
1971 MGB Roadster (sold)
1977 fiat 124 (sold)
2010 Prius
2001 Sequoia
2006 20' REgal bowrider boat.
1984 Pinanfarina

Return to “Engine and Tuning”