Ignition wire problems

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Ravq124
Your car is a: 1978 fiat 124 spider

Ignition wire problems

Postby Ravq124 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello, I’m relatively new here. I just purchased a 78 spider and I just finished installing a new ignition switch but discovered the po had installed one as well, but what he did was remove most of the original wires and made them all the same gauge and the same color, all brown, I have redone the wiring here and have it all the correct color and plugged in the way many schematics show however my car will not stay on unless I have the ignition coil plugged into the “int” tab. When I have it on the int tab the car will no longer turn off even after removing the key, so I can’t keep it on that tab, does anyone know where the pink wire is supposed to be connected too?
I currently have the brown on 30, the black on 30/1, the blue on Int, the red on 50 and pink on Int with nothing on 15

The instructions that came with ithe ignition say I should have the brown on Int and pink and blue on 15, with nothing on 30. If anyone can please help me on this, I’m tired of having to disconnect the battery every time I’m done driving

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Ignition wire problems

Postby baltobernie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Does your switch look like this ...

Or does it have Roman numerals on the face, like this?

Ravq124

Postby Ravq124 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:23 pm

I have the Roman numeral one

Ravq124

Postby Ravq124 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:24 pm

I’ve tried all the possible wire combinations but the only way to keep it running is to have the ignition coil wire attached to one of the permanent live tabs or wire

Ravq124

Postby Ravq124 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Finally fixed it, I just replaced the innards of the new switch with the ones from the old switch, it works with the standard wiring configuration so I think the new one was defective because they where both Lada switches, the new one had the inners in a black case where the old one had no case and different configurations of contacts and springs

spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Postby spider2081 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:35 pm

Great that you have a running car. I'm Pretty sure the original ignition switch for your car would have been a Sipea ignition switch. Do you still have the 6 cavity nylon connector with 5 pins in it connecting the ignition switch to the cars wiring???

If the original switches electrical portion works in the new switch why were you changing the ignition switch in the first place?? Was it mechanically broken??

Ravq124

Postby Ravq124 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:08 am

Sorry about the delayed response. The reason I switched the ignition was my last key broke inside the switch while it was on. I was able to turn it off with a screw driver and remove the broken piece but with out another in tact key there was no way to make a replacement. The switch that was on it was one with the roman numerals on it and I switched it with a new one with roman numerals. although the outsides are identical the inside are completely different. where the old one the switch mechanisms had many springs and it was in a black plastic case, where the new one had just one central spring and consisted of two metal rings of different bumps and grooves, one plastic ring and an axis in witch everything spins in. once I opened it up they whole thing fell apart and I had no idea of how to put it back together or in what order the discs go. All I know is that before I opened it up when I tested the tabs for current the number 15 never received any current no matter what configuration I had the wires in nor in what position the key was in. All in all I'm happy the way things worked out. the internal of the old one seem to be of much better quality.

Return to “Electrical Issues”