1977 Fiat 124 Spider Hand Brake System

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
tommock

1977 Fiat 124 Spider Hand Brake System

Postby tommock » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:22 pm

My handbrake doesn't ratchet up and hold. Inspection doesn't reveal the cause. The ratchet gear is there; the ratchet post engages but doesn't lock. Could not find any replacement parts for the assembly. Did find the ratchet description and perhaps the part number, but no one indicated they had the part. Would filing the ratchet gear fix the problem? What do I do to the Post? Any help is appreciated. Tom Mock

mPedro08
Your car is a: 1976 124CS1 Spider

Re: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider Hand Brake System

Postby mPedro08 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:42 pm

tommock wrote:My handbrake doesn't ratchet up and hold. Inspection doesn't reveal the cause. The ratchet gear is there; the ratchet post engages but doesn't lock. Could not find any replacement parts for the assembly. Did find the ratchet description and perhaps the part number, but no one indicated they had the part. Would filing the ratchet gear fix the problem? What do I do to the Post? Any help is appreciated. Tom Mock

I'm pretty sure they are all the same...I can pull the one off my '71 parts car....$25 plus $12 USPS shipping if interested.

maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Re: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider Hand Brake System

Postby maytag » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:00 pm

i think we should move this out of the "discussion about this site" forum.
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!

Return to “General Maintenance”