Heater and Center Console Vents

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
budzinsk
Your car is a: 1984 Fiat Spider

Heater and Center Console Vents

Postby budzinsk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Everyone. I have a 84 Spider, and I was wondering if heat should be coming through the center console vents? I have heat come through the defroster and floor, but only freezing cold air through the center console vents. Is this the correct way they are supposed to work? I did remove the whole unit this weekend because the fan froze up. Maybe the hot air will only come through the center vents when the fan is blowing - where as the defroster and floor have enough flow from the outside vent in to push the hot air through it?

Thanks in advance.

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Heater and Center Console Vents

Postby baltobernie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 pm

deleted

rridge
Your car is a: 1981 Turbo Spider

Postby rridge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:19 am

Hi Rob,

If you are referring to the vents that were added to the center of the dash in the Azzurra Spiders in what appears to be an extension of the center console, they are fresh air only and are not connected to the fan. There is an opening in the back wall of the plenum behind the heater vent flap that feeds them and horizontal ducts that pass through from the plenum to the openings facing the passengers.

Until 1979 I believe most Spiders had cold air vents coming off each end of the plenum and dumping much needed air into the driver and passenger's footwells in summer weather. When the relay tray was added under the glovebox in 1979, the vents disappeared and the Spider 2000's summer driving comfort was affected. Fortunately we still had adjustable vent windows.

In 1983, the Azzurra Spider (DSO) went to fixed vent windows mounting external mirrors. Two fresh air vents were added to the center of the dash to compensate. By then a/c was being sold on most Spiders. Many assumed the new vents were integrated with a/c and heat. They were not.

It is possible that the only air flow control on is the lever on the face of the vent mechanism itself. If so, the 40 year old seals on the vent may be leaking. Handle them with care, the old plastic is brittle.

By the way, I'm impressed that a Pennsylvanian is actually out driving a Spider in the weather you've been having.

budzinsk

Postby budzinsk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks so much, Richard! This is exactly what I was looking for. I probably spent an hour or so trying to figure out why heat was not coming out! Yes, I was able to get a few drives in a couple of weeks ago, but now with the snow I think it is parked until spring! Thanks again for your response and your help!

PhillySpider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Postby PhillySpider » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:55 am

budzinsk wrote:Thanks so much, Richard! This is exactly what I was looking for. I probably spent an hour or so trying to figure out why heat was not coming out! Yes, I was able to get a few drives in a couple of weeks ago, but now with the snow I think it is parked until spring! Thanks again for your response and your help!

Where about in PA are you? I'm in new hope along the PA/NJ border, had her out for a spin recently as well...

budzinsk

Postby budzinsk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:29 pm

I am in Dillsburg, which is about 20 minutes west of Harrisburg..... I weas in New Hope are few months ago.

Return to “General Maintenance”