Edit....Back from paint!

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Ptoneill
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

Re: Edit....Back from paint!

Postby Ptoneill » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Ok still waiting for the ISIS (Infinitybox) system to arrive, Jay ,the owner, said it would be at least three weeks from the order time....so hopefully any day now!!

So I have been working on other house keeping issues, I have started to put in the Dynamat. It is not hard but it definately makes you sweat rolling it out!

As I have mentioned before I am looking to replace the seats. I really really wanted to use the 2006 leather GTO seats but alas they are just to big to look good. A buddy of mine has a pair of older BMW M series seats that I have high hopes for, they are not as modern as the GTO but they do have the right dimensions. In previous posts I showed how to remove the OEM seat rails so now I am going to show what I replaced them with.

I am an accredited Accident Reconstructionist so for me safety is incredibly important. I did some research and found a local company 425 motor sports ( http://www.425motorsports.com ) that has a line of seat brackets they designed called Planted Technology. These units are designed specifically to each vehicle of course they did not have a pre-existing pattern for a 124 Fiat. Lucky for me they were only about an hour away. Their brackets are made from 3/16th inch steel with welded feet that have holes for 7/16in bolts that go thru the floor to backer plates that have 7/16 x 20 in nuts welded to them. The tech made sure everything was level and custom made me two brackets which they then powder coated. These brackets are pre-drilled for all major aftermarket seat rails and seat patterns. My cost was high because I paid for shop rate pluse materials not to mention WA State tax of almost 10% the final tally was $440. Not cheap but in my opinion highly worth it for the level of quality I got....PS....I am NOT getting Anything from them for mentioning their product!!! If someone else wanted one I did tell them they were welcome to record the measurements from my car for future use...this should put the cost around $300 if they kept the measurements.

Until next time, keep smiling!!
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com
http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/ptoneill/

Ptoneill

Postby Ptoneill » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:41 am

Great news!! My Infnity Box (ISIS) showed up yesterday.

The bad news....I am not home to start installing it......tragic I know!!

But I don't feel to bad about it.....because I am on vacation in Cabo San Lucas!!

But come next Sunday I will start installing!!
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com

dom
Your car is a: 1972 spider 124

Postby dom » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:03 pm

The way that you are mounting the seat mounts seems to me like trouble. Maybe I am missing something but if you are mounting them to the flat sheet metal floor this will cause flexing of the floor and eventual stress cracking. There is not enough structural rigidity at the mounting points.

Ptoneill

Postby Ptoneill » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:07 am

The "foot" is 1 in by 1.75, the backer is 3 by 2 inches, so figuring 300 for me and the seat that puts about 42 lbs per sq inch at the contact points which are actually vey solid. But you may have a point, I will look at it when I get home and see if I need to broaden the contact points on the floor.

I will let you know what I come up with...by the way did the math in my head so if there is an error I blame it on the Corona's!!
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com

Ptoneill

Postby Ptoneill » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:06 pm

Back from vacation, always love going but it is nice to be back. I had several new toys waiting for me, the Infinity Box system arrived as did the new aluminum radiator from Mark.

I am going to start installing the Infinity Box (ISIS) system, do you all think I should start a separate topic or continue with this one?

I am initially going start by explaining the different components in the system. I purchased the three cell setup for flexibility in adding things, I also got the key fob remote which will disable the entire electrical system plus pop the trunk.

The main components are the "Mastercell" and the "powercell", I have two power cells, you can add up to five. The Mastercell is exactly that...it controls the power cells. it does this by placing a small signal on a switched input, when the signal is grounded by moving the switch it tells the master cell to activate the programmed function. The Mastercell sends a command to the effected powercell via a CAN ( Controller Area Network) cable which in turn applies or removes power to a light, popper, window motor ect..... Each output on the power cell is capable of supporting a 25 amp load and is fuses using mini fuses plugged into the powercell output.

Here are some pictures..

Mastercell

Powercell

Connectors

The only thing connecting the Mastercell to the powercell is the CAN Bus which eliminates a ton of wires. I will be placing one power cell in the trunk, the other will be on the center console just aft of the heater box. The Mastercell is going to be hinged under the old relay tray on the passenger side so that if I need to trouble shoot the system I can swing it down...you don't need relays with this system....yippee!!

I will be keeping parts of the original system...all the windshield wiper wiring...apparently this is hard reproduce as each type of wiper system can have totally different motor controllers. I am also keeping the gauge harness and gauge inputs and steering column wiring everything else is gone.

Forward powercell

Wire kept

I will hopefully have the modules mounted tomorrow...until then.....take care!
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com

Ptoneill

Postby Ptoneill » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:27 pm

Ok so this is the panel I made to mount the mastercell onto. It is hinged under the relay tray, I will use Velcro strap to hold it in place.

This explains why my hair is going gray.......the 79 Goldwing living next to the 79 Fiat......normally the bike is stored in the back of the garage however I pulled it out to work on it.

I will re-install the wiring that I kept from the old harness tomorrow, then I will layout the new stuff.
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com

SoFlaFiat
Your car is a: 71 1608 77 1800 81 2000

Postby SoFlaFiat » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:11 pm

You are scaring me Pat!
That's a ton of stuff to trip over or knock into that sweet paint job!!
1971 124BS1 with 1608, since October 2014
1977 124CS1 with 1800, since June 1993
1981 124CS0 with built 2 liter under construction since April 2013...
Here is the link to my build blog:
http://www.miscuglio777881.com

Ptoneill

Postby Ptoneill » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Yea I love the bike but a rarely ride it. I spent a year rebuilding it.....only 10,800 original miles. I would sell it but it was given to me by my Father in law so I would feel bad about getting rid of it.

But as the weather is changing it is time to put it back to the rear of the garage......
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com

Ptoneill

Postby Ptoneill » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Ok , I am making progress on the Infinitybox install. The rear power cell is mounted on the front trunk wall along with the power fuse block. This fuse block provides 120amps of protection for each power cell, the Mastercell gets its peer via the CAN bus.

I only needed to use 6 wires for the rear of the car..2 grounds (note ground lug on left), one wire for parking lights, one wir each for left and right turn/brake combo ...I am using single filament turn/ brake lights the Mastercell controls the signal to flash the brake light for the side the signal is applied to. I used the forth wire for the trunk popper which will be controlled by a switch up front and the key fob.

I coiled up the unused wire for now just in case it is needed later....i.e. I put in an electric fuel pump. Once everything is done and tested I will wrap all the wires with fabric split loom to clean up the look.

Now for the front........
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com

Ptoneill

Postby Ptoneill » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:47 pm

I got the dash ready everything is fitted. I used the original harness as it was working great and I wanted OEM gauges. The harness had to be unwrapped so I could extend the wires to fit the aftermarket dash, I only had to extend one wire to the ground on the clock. The dash will be covered when I get to the interior......

I put the rheostat for the dash illumination where the headlight switch would "normally" go. I will use push buttons similar to the Start Button on the dash. I am eliminating the key start as the Infinitybox cuts out the electrical system to the starting circuit via a key fob.

Going back to work on Tuesday....bummer.....will slow down the work.
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com

81SPIDERMATT
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Postby 81SPIDERMATT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:50 pm

looks great .... love the dash .... always get a bit excited when I see you have a new post on this thread .... happy for you and all that you are accomplishing .... very interesting electrical stuff too

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:06 am

Appreciate the work just going through an anti-computer phase in life now. The diesel is so old school it has absolutely no electronics required to make the engine work aside from a fuel solenoid valve. The major draw to it for me was the total absence of micro-chips in the car since it does not even have a radio. With a good battery you don't really even need the glow plugs to start it when the suns out and can even push start it.

Are there any bargains on the InfinityBoxes as from their web site they look to be about $1,500 for a basic 20 circuit system.

Ptoneill

Postby Ptoneill » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:27 am

81SPIDERMATT wrote:looks great .... love the dash .... always get a bit excited when I see you have a new post on this thread .... happy for you and all that you are accomplishing .... very interesting electrical stuff too

Thank you!! It means a lot to me that people appreciate the build.....this is my first car build and I have gained so much knowledge from others on this site.

Thanks again!
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com

Ptoneill

Postby Ptoneill » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:35 am

DieselSpider wrote:
Are there any bargains on the InfinityBoxes as from their web site they look to be about $1,500 for a basic 20 circuit system.

I have to agree with you that is the reason I love this car I don't need special tools to work on it. I had a 96 VW Jetta one of the cars I really regretted getting rid of. As for Infinitybox.....Jay, the owner, gave me a little break on the price...cannot hurt to ask!!! If you get the chance to get to SEMA he always has a booth, very nice guy!
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com

SoFlaFiat
Your car is a: 71 1608 77 1800 81 2000

Postby SoFlaFiat » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:57 pm

I'm with Matt! Love to see the progress!! Lately I have been living vicariously through it so you might need to skip going back to work for a while!!
Ha!!
1971 124BS1 with 1608, since October 2014
1977 124CS1 with 1800, since June 1993
1981 124CS0 with built 2 liter under construction since April 2013...
Here is the link to my build blog:
http://www.miscuglio777881.com

Return to “Restoration Projects”