New member from Ottawa, ON, Canada

If you just registered, post a brief greeting in here.
KGROLLE
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Spider

New member from Ottawa, ON, Canada

Postby KGROLLE » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Hello all,
After owning my 72 Fiat 124 Spider since 1979, it was high time to do a couple of things:
1. Enter a 'final phase' of major refurbishment, and
2. Join FiatSpider.com . . . Why I never fully appreciated how valuable this site is, I can't explain.

I haven't figured out how to share photographs yet but you can my appreciate my 'project' (1st picture / 5th row) on the following page: http://www.italiancarclubottawa.ca/ICCOmemberspage.php

Don't let outward appearances fool you, the original 1.6L motor was recently pronounced beyond repair, so I'm now working with another 1.8L (4381917 | 131AB.40/7). If it passes my machinist's initial inspection, I'll be having it fully machined and rebuilt with new parts. That will then be combined with a conversion to dual Webers, new Painless wiring harness / relays / connectors, engine bay cleanup & painting, etc. Yes, there has been a bit of 'scope creep' for those experienced with projects!

I look forward to exchanging thoughts with the members of FiatSpider.com.

Ciao . . . Kaj

spiderdan
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1968 124 Sport Spider

Re: New member from Ottawa, ON, Canada

Postby spiderdan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Hey Kaj, welcome to the forum
I'm sure we've met at one of the ICCO events/parades.
Looks like you have a few interesting projects ahead of you.
Are you doing the work yourself?
Not many willing to work on these cars in Ottawa since Franks' closed.
Keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers
Dan
1968 124 Sport Spider
"Angelina"
2015 Toyota Camry XSE (hers)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (cottage toy)
http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/68spi ... t%20Spider
http://www.youtube.com/user/Coontache/videos

rjkoop
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Postby rjkoop » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:04 pm

Another Fiat Spider owner in Ottawa... Awesome!

Do you have a good Fiat mechanic you use in Ottawa? I'd love a 'Once Over' by someone who knows these cars. My '81 runs well but I think it could run better.

Richard
Ottawa (Kanata)

KGROLLE

Postby KGROLLE » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi Dan,
Yes I'm sure we've met but likely a few years back. My car hasn't been mechanically reliable the last couple of years so I didn't attend ICCO events. Hopefully soon though. I just received a replacement engine from GA and the machine shop reports it's in very good shape.

I'll post my progress, thanks Kaj

Hi Richard,
I'm on the fence with mechanics at the moment. I've used quite a few and discovered some interesting things removing my engine and transmission. I'm working with a machinist presently and will recommend him in a month or two, after we complete the rebuild of my 'new' engine. So far, I'm quite impressed with him . . . he's always giving me sober 2nd thought on 'improvements'. Basically believes that the original 1.8L engine parts were built solidly while newer parts may be hit and miss, i.e. the pistons may be 40 years old but they still look perfect and the well built.

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

Postby phaetn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Welcome!

There are a few of us here in Ottawa but the driving season is comparatively short compared to our brethren down south. :)

Sound advice from your machinist: If the parts are still good after 40+ years, why risk a newer part that might fail if its quality control isn't as good?

When you feel like it, let us know your machinist. I used once recently to get the head on my 1.8 done (valve seats, new guides, and a decking) and was happy with the work. The local Fiat guru said he's the only shop he'd use on the old engines...

Cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
32/36 DFEV; CompuTronix ign.
9.8:1 c/r; 40/80 intake cam w/ Isky springs
Vicks' SS header & adj. cam pulleys
A/R's progressive coils, Koni Yellow dampers
205/50-15s on CD-66 style rims
Momo wheel, Corbeau seats w/ 5 pt belt
pics and HD vids

KGROLLE

Postby KGROLLE » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome, I may be wishing for a 'long winter' to complete this project LOL. I'll definitely share my experience with the machinist, I'm so impressed how he's able to explain things in terms a novice like me can understand and how familiar he is with Fiat engines even though he doesn't specialize in them. In that he may well be the fellow you worked with, it's Peter at Carquest on Star Top Road here in Ottawa. I'll keep folks posted on progress.

Return to “New Members / Introductions”